Thursday, May 8, 2008

Iron Man a must see (and think!)


Alex and I saw Iron Man Monday night = AWESOME!! I think second to Batman Begins this is the best comic-based movie that I’ve seen.


As is usual with storylines written by or influenced by Stan Lee (the chairman emeritus of Marvel Comics and Exec. Producer on the film,) there are some very thought-provoking themes of purpose and ethics evident in this movie’s story; Midway through the movie after he has survived several life-threatening situations Tony Stark tells his assistant, Pepper, that he feels he is still alive for a reason; “I have a purpose…in my heart I know it is right.”


What I really love about this is the underlying tenets of the character’s statement;
· He acknowledges a greater plan and purpose for himself thus acknowledging a higher power or authority above his own relative desires.
· He acknowledges a sense of what is right and wrong thus acknowledging a moral law above his own relative preferences.
· He also determines that his purpose (to do “right”) is somehow related to his continued living thus inferring said higher power has intervened in order to see said plan/purpose carried out and further, it seems, he gained a moral compass or basis for said values “in his heart.”


I don’t know about you but I find it really cool when someone (even a fictional character) expresses the very real evidence of God’s influence and moral law. It is a powerful idea to have subtly communicated in such a popular medium.

No comments: