Friday, May 16, 2008

No apologies...

I host a men’s bible study every Friday at 6:30 am (yes A.M.,) this week’s was fun with great discussion. Sam made some small barking noises when Mike arrived which gave me hope that he is getting comfortable and “owning” his home. He is going to be a great guard dog yet!
I also introduced the guys to a new study series we may start called “Foundations of Apologetics” by Ravi Zacharias International Ministries. The 1st volume (of 12) is Introduction to Apologetics: Conversations that Count. It is presented by Michael Ramsden, a passionate evangelist and apologist who in this first volume examines the biblical call to give an apologetic and considers the method and manner in which we should strive to give a defense for the Christian faith.
Both the guys there this morning verbalized interest in this series once we are finished with our current study of the book of Acts. This will give me a chance to go through the first one or two volumes and determine the best way to adapt the study to our morning meetings.

If you are not familiar with apologetics it is not what it sounds like in word or definition. To give an apologetic is to give a defense of what you believe and has nothing to do with apologizing. Those that are familiar know what I mean. The word “Apologetics” is a branch of Christian theology which upholds Christ’s charge to every follower to be prepared to defend what they believe;
1 Peter 3:15
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
From this text the Greek word for defense is “apologia” thus the theology becomes “Apologetics.”

I have encountered some Christians who are wary of this line of thinking as they fear it somehow “cheapens” their faith; that they don’t need to “prove” what they believe and that faith is not an intellectual exercise. I understand that faith is the main component of salvation but I still live in the very real secular world where that faith is challenged constantly from many angles including my own questioning mind. In order for me to fuel my faith I must be able to make sense in my head what it is I believe in my heart. Apologetics is a way to answer not only your own doubts but to be able to engage others when they question you. I have also encountered those that accuse apologetic thinkers as proselytizers or that their goal or motive is to “convert” non-Christians. It is not about conversion (or coercion) but how to respond to questions in a purposeful way and engage in meaningful discussions where one can share what it is they believe and why.

No comments: