Thursday, May 8, 2008

Not the only one to notice...

In reference to my previous post Alex pointed out a couple of articles to me.

Here is an interesting excerpt from the Dallas Morning News where Jeffrey Weiss says;

"Tony Stark, wealthy hedonist is nearly killed and gets a "new heart" (more physically obvious in the movie than in the comic) by someone who sacrifices his life so that Tony can live. Tony takes the power of his "new heart" and transforms his values and the way he lives his life and becomes a true hero. Does that resonate with any other story you can think of?
Many Christians put particular emphasis on Ezekiel 36:26: "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh.
The creators of the Stark/Iron Man character, and whose origin story is broadly tracked by the movie just about scene for scene, were writer Stan Lee, a mostly secular Jew, and artist Jack Kirby, also Jewish and more religious than Stan. I can't imagine, though, that either of 'em was thinking about Ezekiel at the time.
And having interviewed Stan a couple of times, I am tee-totally sure he had zero intent to make any explicitly religious point. OTOH, mythmakers draw from the culture where they live. So who knows what corner of the zeitgeist inspired Kirby and Lee back then?
Bonus tip: Stan, who is still very much alive, has had cameos in the Spider-Man and Fantastic Four movies. He's here, too, for a nanosecond. Keep your eyes peeled for "Hef."

No comments: